Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary


June 11, 1988

Enjoy your day and just for fun.....

did you know that you share this anniversary with your 4th great grandparents, John and Hannah (Letcher) Dougherty (Daugherty)?
210 Years Ago Today
June 11, 1799
Our immigrant ancestor, John Dougherty, was born in Strabane County, Tyrone Ireland in 1776 and married Hannah in Rockbridge County, VA. She was born 11-5-1771 in St James, Goochland County, VA. They were the parents of nine children.
  1. James Thompson Dougherty
  2. John L. Daugherty (our 3rd great grandfather)
  3. Clarinda Julia Dougherty
  4. Julia Ann Dougherty
  5. Giles Dougherty
  6. Mary Esther Dougherty
  7. Sallie Houston Dougherty
  8. Mary Hannah Dougherty
  9. William Houston Dougherty
from shared FTM data online we find that John Dougherty moved from Tazewell County, Virginia in about 1820 to McMinn County, Tennessee near present day Riceville, in either the Old Salem or Double Springs community.

Earlier John Dougherty Research notes:
John Dougherty, brother to
  1. James
  2. William
  3. Nancy Dougherty

The William C. Dougherty Book of 1930 indicated he came to America with the other three siblings. Several clues follow family traditions and folklore. One story relates John migrated into Pennsylvania while other evidence indicates he either settled in Virginia as did his siblings and later migrated West or died without issue. John Dougherty married a Hannah Letcher, daughter to John Letcher and Mary Houston. John Letcher was from Fluvanna County, Virginia and Mary Houston was from Rockbridge County, Virginia. Mary's father, Robert Houston was born in Ireland ca. 1720 and came to America prior to Mary's birth. Other than what was recorded of Hannah, it is known they lived in the late 1800's in Tazwell Co.,Virginia and Hannah died in Tennessee. (Ref. WFT Vol. 12, #1881)
=======================================================
Last Will of John Dougherty - McMinn County, Tennessee
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, John Dougherty do make and publish this my Last Will and Testament. First I direct that my funeral expenses and all my debts be paid as soon after my death as possible out of any monys that I may disposed or may be first come into the hands of my Executor. Secondly I give and bequeath into my daughter Mary B Daugherty one half of the Spring lot, the East end including the spring also running with the lane west with Allen Haleys line to the corner, thence continuing a straight line to John Jenkins line so as to include fifty acres together with the buildings and orchard on said fifty acres of land also all my personal property that may remain after my death. Thirdly I give and bequeath unto my daughter Sarah Bradford the remainder of my lands which will be about eighty acers by paying to my daughter Clarinda Mitchell one hundred dollars, and to my daughter Juliann Parkinson the sum of ten dollars. Lastly I do nominate and appoint David Bradford my Executor. In witness thereof I do this my Will set my hand and Seal this 13th day of June 1849.
John Dougherty
Signed and Sealed in the presence of us to which we subscribe our names in the presence of the
Testator this 18th day of June 1849.
Attest John Jenkins
Allen Haley
Year: 1840 State: Tennessee County: McMinn Sheet No: 125
Reel No: M704-527 Enumerated by: John S. Bridges
Transcribed by Sherry Yancey Babb for USGenWeb,

From Rockbridge County Records:
To the Clerk of Rockingham County, This is to certify that I have given My Consent that John
Dougherty may obtain license to marry My Daughter Hannah Letcher given under My hand this tenth day of June 1799 Mary Letcher David Dougherty James Letcher Sworn to by both witnesses this 10 June 1799 A Reid CC. Know all men these presents that we John Dougherty & David Dougherty are held and firmly bound to James Wood governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the for the time being and to his successors in the Sum of One Hundred and Fifty Dollars to which payment will and truly to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors & jointly and severally firmly by these presents. Witness our hands and seals this 10th day of June 1799. The condition of the above obligationis made that whereas there is a marriage shortly intended to be solomized between the above bound John Dougherty & Hannah Letcher of Rockbridge. If therefore there shall be no lawful cause to obstruct the same then this obligation to be void or else remain in full force
Teste John Dougherty [[SEAL]]
David Dougherty [[SEAL]]
A Reid CC
More About Hannah Letcher:
Buried in: McMinn County, Tennessee3
Christening: 05 Nov 1771, St. James, Northam, Goochland Co., VA
Residence: Tazewell Co., VA; Tennessee3

To the Clerk of Rockbridge County, This is to certify that I have given My Consent that John Dougherty may obtain license to marry My Daughter Hannah Letcher given under My hand this tenth day of June 1799 Mary Letcher David Dougherty James Letcher Sworn to by both witnesses this 10 June 1799 A Reid CC
Know all men these presents that we John Dougherty & David Dougherty
are held and firmly bound to James Wood governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the for the time being and to his successors in the Sum of One Hundred and Fifty Dollars to which payment will and truly to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors & jointly and severally firmly by these presents. Witness our hands and seals this 10th day of June 1799.
The condition of the above obligationis made that whereas there is a marriage shortly intended to be solomized between the above bound John Dougherty & Hannah Letcher of Rockbridge. If therefore there shall be no lawful cause to obstruct the same then this obligation to be void or else remain in full
force
Teste John Dougherty [[SEAL]]
David Dougherty [[SEAL]]
A Reid CC


No comments:

Post a Comment