Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 3

My brothers are so good to help me in my endeavors. Although I don't believe that cemetery jumping is a point of deep satisfaction to them, they give in to my interests and help me in the hunt. From directions given by Browne Hollowell, Larry found Mays Chapel Cemetery near the old Wittens Mill location along the banks of the Clinch River where the water falls gently over the large river rock creating a most peaceful and soothing sound. The calm is most appropriate for those loved ones placed lovingly in the fenced, but not well kept plot.

Stated in obituaries and death records, my great grandfather, Erastus Granger Davidson (1852-1924), his wife Eliza Greever (Gregory) (1857-1922) and their daughter Nannie Crockett McHaffa (1900-1928) are buried there. Unfortunately, there are no markers for them, and many other unmarked sunken graves.

Two Davidson's are there, but I must piece together more records to place them in our lineage. If anyone suspects they may have relatives there, please contact me at sherrykelly@comcast.net. I took photos and recorded all monuments there. I would love to share your family monuments with you.


May's Chapel Cemetery at Wittens Mill.

Take 19/460 east from Tazewell, turn left at Rt. 651, go 2/10ths mile to a small metal bridge on the right crossing the north fork of the Clinch River. There is only a bit of stone wall remaining from the actual Wittens Mill, just north of the bridge.

Cross the bridge to the right and continue on the little road there. Park. On foot, cross the N&W tracks at Marker N381. There is a wide metal gate. The cemetery is approximately a two acre plot with a barbed wire fence. Many graves have no markers, and some have fieldstones. May's Chapel Methodist Church was here before Willows Chapel was built further up towards Wrights Valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment