Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day


Honor Roll

Eddie Epperson, a high school classmate, died in the Vietnam War. Eddie was remembered by all as a friendly guy who always made us laugh. We were sadded to hear of his death. Many years later our family visited the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC. I discovered his name in the directory and quickly moved to the hard granite panel bearing his name. As I lifted my pencil to record his name etched on paper, I was not prepared for the emotion welling inside me at that moment. May we not forget the huge sacrifice that millions have made for our freedom. Pray for our country, that we not give that freedom away, and the losses be in vain.

Charles Nye Buckland (top right)

Ellis H. Buckland, 82nd Airborne


Larry C. Buckland, US Army

Brian K. Buckland, US Marines


David F. Buckland, US Air Force
Walter E. Buckland, US Navy

Walter Graham

Leman C. Davis

Richard McHaffa

------------------------------------------------------

Originally intended to mark the anniversary of the ending of World War I, a day was established paying tribute to the heroes of that tragic struggle and rededicating ourselves to the cause of peace. Later, the United States was involved in other great military conflicts, which added millions of veterans living and dead to the honor rolls of this Nation. In 1926, Congress called for the observance of November 11 to be known as Armistice Day. Today, we pay homage to the veterans of all its wars who have contributed so much to the preservation of this Nation. A celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.


Veteran's Day - November 11, 2008

Thank you
Wanda said...
I did not get it to you in time, but my cousin Donald Rash also died in Vietnam. Michael, our youngest, and I road the train up to Washington during spring break a few years ago and we found Donald's name and etched it as well. I have pictures somewhere. :) It was a very powerful moment, as you say. His twin brother Ronald was on a hill above the battle when Donald's group was wiped out. They are the sons of my mother's brother Joe Rash. Thanks. WBR

2 comments:

  1. I did not get it to you in time, but my cousin Donald Rash also died in Vietnam. Michael, our youngest, and I road the train up to Washington during spring break a few years ago and we found Donald's name and etched it as well. I have pictures somewhere. :) It was a very powerful moment, as you say. His twin brother Ronald was on a hill above the battle when Donald's group was wiped out. They are the sons of my mother's Uncle Joe Rash. Thanks. WBR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sons of my mother's brother Joe Rash.

    ReplyDelete