Friday, March 27, 2009

Margaret Alois Buckland

1920-2009

It is with great sadness that I make this post today. Having visited with dear sweet Aunt Margaret this past August, I had no inkling, and no one but God knew, that today we would be experiencing such loss. For all my years, I remember her with respect and admiration; as a wonderful, caring wife who served and loved her husband.

Bearing a very proper but not stuffy look, Aunt Margaret had every white hair in place, and modest makeup just so; always wore a fine dress; always smiled and hugged me; always asked about my family.

One fall afternoon a few years back, I arrived at the old homeplace for an unannounced visit. There I found Aunt Margaret, her sister Justine and Uncle Robert standing outside making apple butter in a large copper kettle over an open flame. Yes, she had on a dress and looked just as pretty as if she was going to church on Easter morning. Her hospitality so genuine and warm; I left there that day with a jar of homemade apple butter to savor the memory of a cherished lady.

I'm very fond of all my family, but as we gather during these times of grief, I am especially thankful for those who have been a significant part of my life. I will miss her dearly. Nevertheless, let's not grieve for her because of the hope we have in Christ (Thessalonians). Let's celebrate her life and the joy she now knows in the presence of her Savior Jesus Christ, the one true Almighty God.


The Twenty-Third Psalm

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in geen pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of
the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; Thy rod and
thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence
of mine enemies: thou anointest my head
with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life: and I will
dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Margaret Alois Buckland, 88, of 14685 Mudfork Road, Falls Mills, VA, died Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at her home. She was born in Yards, Va. and was a daughter of the late Grover C. Wallace and Ora Caldwell Wallace.She was a member of the Memorial Church of Christ in Princeton, and in addition to her parents, was preceded in death by brothers, Cecil Wallace, Bernard Wallace, Garnett Wallace, Garland Wallace, Billy Wallace, and an infant brother; and by a sister, Betty Matter. Mrs. Buckland is survived by her husband of 69 years, Robert Cecil Buckland; son, Robert Cecil Buckland, Jr. and wife Linda, Moneta, Va.; daughter, Janice Wellman and husband James, Falls Mills, Va.; grandchildren, Jimmy Wellman, Morristown, Tenn., Jena Wellman, Johnson City, Tenn., David Buckland, Stanfield, N.C., and Michelle Hartman and Kermit Johnson, Moneta, Va.; great-grandchildren, Brittany Wellman, Isaac Wellman, Chara Ringle, Nicholas Ringle and Andrew Bader; and one great-great-grandson. She is also survived by one sister, Justine Thompson. Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. at the Dudley Memorial Chapel in Bluefield, Va. with Frank Watkins, Dr. Rick Bradley, and Rick Mathena officiating. Burial will follow in the Grandview Memory Gardens. Nephews will serve as pallbearers. The Buckland family will receive friends today from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Clinton Looney Missionary to Mexico c/o Mary Cook, P.O. Box 250, Vansant, VA 24656 or to Christian Acres, 1351 Evangelism Road, Bluefield, WV 24701. Dudley Memorial Mortuary of Bluefield, VA is serving the Buckland family.




Uncle Robert & Aunt Margaret 50th Wedding Anniversary
They were married September 1, 1939 in Bland County, VA.




No comments:

Post a Comment